SIOUX FALLS SCHOOL DISTRICT NO 49-5
Name of project: Head Start 2009 COLA and Quality Improvement Funding
Number of children to be served: The Sioux Falls Head Start program serves 414 children. All 414 children will be touched by this project in one or more ways.
2. Program options offered: The Sioux Falls Head Start program offers both a dual session school based program option as well as full day full year services.
Cities or counties served: The Sioux Falls Head Start program serves the Sioux Falls School District which includes portions of Minnehaha and Lincoln counties.
Purpose of the Head Start program: The Sioux Falls Head Start purpose is best described by the district's mission which is to educate and prepare each child to succeed in a changing world.
Purpose, description and need of each funding award:
1. Child Development Associate training will be provided for education assistants to meet the minimum Head Start staffing requirements as set forth in the Head Start Act of 2007. Staff time as well as curriculum and materials will be provided.
2. All recently hired teachers will complete the three week High Scope curriculum teacher training. Staff time as well as presenters will be paid using this funding award.
3. Developmentally appropriate playground equipment will be purchased and installed at a new school site.
4. Tuition will be paid for chidlren transitioning to kindergarten in full day full year community partner sites. The grantee will enter into contracts with the providers for this service.
5. COLA or Cost of Living Allowance for salaries, transportation, interpreters and other costs impacted by increasing costs.