The Department will conduct a range of oversight and monitoring activities to track the progress and performance of grantees and identify and mitigate challenges/risks associated with these grants. These activities will include:
(1) conducting post-award conference calls to assist grantees with strengthening their project goals and objectives and ensuring that their project measures are measurable;
(2) holding a Project Director’s meeting for the project directors and evaluators of each project, providing technical assistance on evaluation issues and improving project-level perforemance objectives and measures;
(3) employing a contractor to work with grantees to strengthen their evaluation plans, specifically tying their project measures to the outcomes of the project;
(4) contracting with an independent evaluator to conduct a five-year evaluation of the impact of the Teacher Residency Program grants on student achievement and other key program outcomes;
(5) conducting on-going monitoring of grantees, including reviewing drawdowns of funds in the Grants Administration and Payments System (GAPS) to ensure that funds are being drawn down appropriately;
(6) conducting regular telephone conferences between Department staff and grantees to discuss the grantee’s progress toward the goals outlined in the application, resolve any budget concerns, and ensure that statutory requirements are being met; and
(7) conducting on-site monitoring visits of grantees on an as-needed basis.